Saturday, December 06, 2008

Christmas Tea!
Tomorrow afternoon at 3 I will be joined by the women of my neighborhood for a Christmas Tea. I've just prepared and frozen our desert . . . want to take a peek? I took the idea of the icebox cake made with Nabisco's chocolate wafer cookies. I made a candy cane shape. 
It will be a cool refreshing dessert with chocolate, mint, and whipped cream, 
light in taste but not in calories.

It takes more time to find these chocolate cookie wafers than to make the dessert, honestly!

 See the process from completed dessert step-by-step backwards. . . . 


The final results seen above. .  
Stack the cookies up , sandwiching them with about a tablespoon of a mixture made of 2 cups heavy cream whipped with 1/2 cup confectioner sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each of vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Make stacks of 6 cookies, when they are used up, then lay them sideways and cover them with the remaining whipped cream.
Use 5 candy canes, crushed, and fold into the whipped cream mixture.
See the box of cookies? That is what you have to search for - be prepared to have to visit a few grocery stores in order to find them.  I bought candy canes today to hang upon our Christmas tree; the packages contained 5 that were broken -
perfect as that is what I needed for this dessert!
5 single candy canes - that is all it takes to make this delicious dessert! 
I'll photograph the cake after we cut into it to serve.

I'll post more tomorrow to show you my table, the foods I serve, etc.

I'm planning on serving:

Savories
Cucumber sandwiches on white, cut into rounds
Roast beef with horseradish cream on wheat, cut into triangles
Smoked ham with orange marmalade and cream cheese, cut into finger sandwiches

Tea
Betjeman and Barton Christmas Tea (my last!)

Scones
Pumpkin Scones (made by 2 Bite Scone company)
Poppy Seed Scones (made by 2 Bite Scone company)
Mock devonshire cream

Dessert
Candy Cane Ice Box Cake

Thanks for sharing in my hospitaliTEA for the season 
.  .  . what are you planning to do?

Make Room for More
Somehow, not only for Christmas, but all the long year through,
The joy that you give to others, is the joy that comes back to you.
And the more you spend in blessing, the poor and lonely and sad,
The more of your heart's possessing, returns to you glad.
John Greenleaf Whittier

Truth For Life
If you give, you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full measure, pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, and running over. Whatever measure you use in giving- - large or small - -  it will be used to measure what is given back to you.
Luke 6:38

No comments: