Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A little bit here, a little bit there
Often life's tasks seem insignificant: wake up, shower, walk dogs, curl hair, read Bible, meditate on reading, pray, make the bed, tidy the bathroom, tidy the kitchen, pack the lunch, eat breakfast, brush out hair, find the keys, drive to work. . . . but each part adds to the whole of your life. Here is a web page that says it much better than I. If you feel your life's tasks don't add up to much, visit Mary Hunt's page today. It will inspire you in ways in which my words can not this evening.
I am a knitter. I love the ways the two stitches, knit and purl make all the variety of patterns and looks knitted fabric becomes. I am more of a product person than process but I am purposing to be more of a process person, to enjoy the rhythm of knitting, to enjoy the rows the stitches make, the fabric the rows become, and later the product that the pattern creates. I love the pace of knitting, it takes time but gives time to think, pray, enjoy your company, relax,and breathe. I love to listen to podcasts or audio books while I knit if I'm alone. I can talk while I knit or listen to others visit, it focuses me more on what is going on around me. Knitters understand this. We aren't ignoring others while we knit but rather focusing more upon what is being said and how its being said for our knitting gives us an anchoring point. And the products we produce make gifts of love for others or even our own homes or ourselves. It is a giving hobby. And those who give, live life more fully. In service there is greater living, greater joy, greater depth to life than in living solely to get, to keep, to collect, or  to achieve.

Watch this short video on how to switch between a knit and a purl stitch:

Truth for life
Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to saving yourself, your true self. What good would it do to get everything you want and lose you, the real you? What could you ever trade your soul for?
Mark 8:36

No comments: