Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Be My Valentine!

Visit this site to read a good devotional using the ever popular 
Conversation Heart Candies by Necco. 
Then come back, and visit!

Welcome into my home, on the front door you are greeted with this:

I know some of your readers will be very surprised to read that I am once again mentioning knitting! My, oh, my! Yes, I got out the yarn and needles!

On my needles is an attempt to make a Heart shaped cloth, to be used as a hotpad or trivet. I got the pattern at Lion Brand yarn. I started it last weekend, got a few rows going and then left it somewhere and got it back today. So, it won't be a gift for someone for Valentines as I had planned - but when it is done, it will be a good gift for another occasion. Take a peek to see the pattern, it is very much like the Grandmother's Favorite dishcloth pattern in the way the edges are formed. 

Besides the above very tiny knit project, I have a fan and feather scarf on the needle in the green yarn I bought in Parma, Italy in October. I am also looking for the most fitting 'bug' applique to make for a small pillow for my Granddaughter. She has new bedding for her home in Nairobi, Kenya and she 'needs' a cute pillow for cuddling and comfort. So, this grandmother is deeeeelighted to have a project that requires thought, planning, and the dusting off of my sewing machine. If you know of any good websites with cute updated looking sweet bugs I might use as a place to give me some creative direction, I'd appreciate you sharing those with me.

I'm studying Matthew this semester and wow, what a book it is! Today we discussed how we are to live out God's righteousness, a lifestyle that surpasses those of the religious experts of the time in which Christ lives. Not surprisingly, it requires total dependance upon God and the guidance, power, and presence of His Spirit. (Matthew chapters 7 & 8) How I give to the poor, how I pray, how I fast, what I treasure - the motivation behind such actions is what makes the difference in self-focus or God-focus. It is sobering. And yet, it gives me a better idea of how to live as a Christian. When I visit the homebound, care for the feeble, assist the ill how I do what I do matters. It is privilege to serve these people, and it shapes my character in the process. 

As you celebrate Valentine's the week, consider how the greatest lover, the One who can love us most perfectly, who has demonstrated His love for us by giving His life, is the one who also created us and welcomes us all to be close to Him, to live with Him forever, and ever, and ever. He is perfect love - and He offers it to us every day, not just Valentines. 
 
And as we receive His love, He gives us direction for our lives, to pass His love along:

Truths For Life
Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
Jesus replied:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart
and with all your soul and with all your mind.
This is the first and greatest commandment.

And the second is like it:
Love your neighbor as yourself.

All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

Matthew 10:36-40






No comments: