Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do you find reading
much less studying the Bible
puzzling?

I know I did for the most part until I learned how to study my Bible.
I did not see how things related to one another
within a chapter of a book of the Bible,
much less how one book related to another, etc.

It was a puzzle.

I felt I had a box of puzzle pieces without a photo to look at
so I could begin to seek for someone or something
to help me find what the picture was to become.

Have you been there, too?

It helps to think of reading the Bible or a portion of the Bible
as you would handle a jigsaw puzzle.

First things first. . .
what would you first do?

You'd dump out the pieces on a table, turn them right side up and then. . .

then you'd look for the corners and edge pieces.

In scripture there are things you want to look for first:
people
places
things
&
events

Make a list of them, if not on paper, in your head.

Then you would look the pieces of the puzzle over carefully again
and look for the pieces whose color and design printed upon them were similar
(focus on each chapter individually)

You would then look at those separate groupings
and see if the groups parts fit together and you'd fit together what you could
(how do the chapters flow from one to the other)

Then you might begin to see which groups are possibly connecting to other groups
(what is the picture within the chapters of the book?)

Bit by bit you would see order taking place

You'd see differences, connections, and similarities

And a picture would begin to form that shows parts and the bigger picture.

You'd really need the picture but you could complete the puzzle if you took extra time.

And it would be more successful if you shared this experience, right?

It would be more fun, too.

And you'd see things come together
and appreciate they things others saw that you had not.

So this can occur in Bible study & reading of the scriptures.

That said, consider joining a group online, or better yet,
in your local church or community
to study a book within the Bible.

The study method I learned to use to step by step
put together an understanding
of the Bible and its books
is the inductive study method.

Want to learn more?

The best to-date study program I've found is

You can find local classes from their website or click on the right column logo
on my page to find classes in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

You'll get "the picture" through their studies,
I can't recommend them highly enough.

After 20 years, I'm still studying with them.

Try it and let me know what you discover!

Can't find a class? Learn online

or order their book How To Study Your Bible
(or find it at Amazon or your local bookstore)

Truth For Life
How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statues
I will not forget your word.

Psalm 119:9-16

No comments: