Sunday, November 22, 2009

Got 28 days for spiritual growth in 2010?


Putting first things first. . . may I recommend planning 28 days and purchasing this book, working through daily to begin 2010 with purpose, focus, and truth that changes you from the inside out.


I am currently working through this book and my, oh, my how I am enjoying it immensely. Each day I can hardly wait to see what portion of scripture will be used for study, for seeking, and for responding. I am so excited about this little book that I am looking forward to leading it in a group study late spring/summer 2010. (why not sooner? I have already committed to completing 2 Samuel with a class and another course following that) I can't wait to talk about it, to share its impact on my life. . . to witness as to the changes and 'ah ha' moments I am finding. If you study this book, write me! I'd love to discuss it with you even if by email!


I will be recommending it to my friends as a 'must read' for their Christmas gift lists.


Do you ever think to include things on your Christmas list that are luxuries for your spiritual growth and development? I am odd in that I do that. I keep lists of recommended books and when I am asked by my dear husband, I share with him my list. I also share where I have found them on sale or used. I keep a 'gotta read' section in our long hall bookshelf. And when I have the need for a new book I know just where to 'shop' for it. I am never without a book to read, or two or three.


I'm home healing from a recent surgery and it requires rest, lots of rest. And I am loving it. I have been given the orders to take it easy . . I knew it was coming and so I planned ahead with knitting projects, Bible study, good deep books for growth, and tasks that I've not been able to find the time to complete. . this opportunity is golden. I am happy to report that I am making good progress in the past week on meeting some of those personal goals/desires.


I know this Sabbath Rest, of sorts, is a treasure. I pray to take what I gather during this time and live from it today and continuing into the weeks ahead when I am once again back 'out there' serving, teaching, working, helping, learning from and listening to others.


In the meantime I am delighting in this time to look to God, to focus on what is truly important in life. Its a pause, a Selah, in the music of life. Its a precious time to reflect, to be grateful more verbally to my dear husband and grown son who have served me in innumerable ways to keep our home going, to help me rest, and to be closer as a family as I heal.


So, dear reader, I plead with you to make it your goal to grow this year, spiritually by:


#1 read your Bible thoughtfully cover to cover this year


and


#2 to purposely, carefully pick out book that lead you to inner change and outer change as you read His Word and see what we are called to, equipped to do, and must do as His children.


Don't just pick out the top 10 best selling Christian books. Consider this truth: best sellers are RARELY about dying to self and growing in Christ (topic for another day)


Lets grow up, becoming mature children of God as we love Him, cling to Him, obey Him, and live to honor and glorify Him.


Set your resolve with me! Join me in this year, make your plans now, how will you do this, with whom will you share this, and what tools will you need?


Long term investing takes planning and action. Eternal investing takes no less.


Truth For Life


In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

Hebrews 5:12-14

No comments: